Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day

I wasn't going to blog today, but then I got to thinking (I love to do that) and I decided it would be fun. This one's for me and I hope you enjoy it.
I am way behind, but I decided to decorate for the 4th of July. I got up and even before breakfast, I got out my patriotic stuff. I took the yellow pitcher of flowers off my diningroom table and replaced it with a whirlygig Uncle Sam statue, a red white and blue Santa, and five red speckled sewn stars that my mother made. They made a joyful statement. Then I hung my flag angel and flag star from the knobs of my buffet These crafts were from my daughter's girlscout leader. I put a flag bandana, folded in thirds, on the flat surface and added my flag basket in the corner. Wow, I didn't realize how many flag things I owned.
I have a little plastic circle thing that holds flags that I got in Frankenmuth. Frankenmuth is a wonderful place. There are two major restaurants: Bavarian Inn and Zehnders. Both serve fabulous family-style chicken dinners. I love the Bavarian side, because its decor is German and the costumes and decorations are so cute. Zehnders is Colonial American design.
Well, they both have great gift shops and I got most of my flags there. I have a Bavarian Inn flag, an American flag from the 50's from my daughters Molly/American Girl collection, a Michigan flag, a regular American flag, and a Christian flag. That collection is on my chest in the dining room.. Then I found an old Michigan license plate from 1976. I almost threw it away when we moved. I'm glad I didn't, because that's the year my first son was born. It's a Bicentennial flag and lools like a work of art. Finally, I have a piece of stars and stripes ribbon I hung loosly with my Panama Jack hat in the living room. It sounds like overkill, but surprisingly, it's not too bad.
This afternoon, I'm watching "Yankee Doodle Dandy," with James Cagney. I love it. It's my only "for sure" 4th of July tradition. Black and white movies are my style, musicals are fun, and I believe the message from the film about honoring your country never grows old. Then, there is that fabulous dancing. It makes my heart sing!
Tonight, I get to see my grandson for the first time. I can't wait. How do you celebrate the 4th? I'd love to hear from you. Have a great Independence Day and a wonderful weekend. Nancy

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a really great day planned! I love your tradition of watching that movie--I might have to search for it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri - I hope you can find it. It's a real flag waver!

    ReplyDelete