Friday, November 27, 2009

Clipping and Arranging

The other day, I had some time and I felt like being creative. I have some stamping products in a bin. I got them out. I hate making a mess. I put my stuff all over the dining room table. There were printed papers, scissors, magazines, stamps and stickers. Still, to make something, you have to be able to see it all.

I decided to do a collage. That way I can use free paper from the magazines. I cut three pieces of my nice paper into 5" by 7" pieces. Then I scoured the magazines for pictures. I also used this book I have which lets you use stencils and make up your own clothes. It's for about 13 year old girls, but I have always wanted to be a clothing designer, so I got it. I had fun designing outfits and arranging curios around the outfits. There is a moment when you know you are "in the zone" and things just hop to and fall into place. That's the high point of creativity for me. After that, you just go on calmly and what you want to fit, fits. You find just the right piece, etc. After a time, the "perfection" wore off and I had a bit of trouble making things work. That doesn't change the fact that it is a wonderful process and I love it. I have about two more sessions to finish my collages, then they should be masterpieces. Yeah, right. They will be creative works that were a joy to produce. That's a good thing.

After all the work of that first session, I had all the fun of putting everything away. My house was neat again. Don't you just love the whole "mess, create, clean-up cycle?" I do. Nancy

1 comment: