Friday, May 20, 2011

Seeking Rest

There is a scene near the end of The Lord Of The Rings where Frodo is recounting all of his hurts and he sounds so weary and asks where he will find some rest. His friend Gandalf was silent. I can just see him sighing inwardly, knowing what was to come. Frodo ended up going to The Grey Havens, a beautiful place. It is sort of an afterlife, not heaven, but perhaps similar.

Lately, I find myself thinking of that scene and wanting somewhere to escape, too. There have been so many big weekends and work to do in between. The events were wonderful. It was all good. But my mind is again reeling with mental details, notes, the calendar, a bulletin board, whatever will help. I used to long for the weekends because there was usually a bit of down time. Now most of that is in the work week. For a little longer, the schedule will be full. Then I hope to do some creative, impromptu things.

During this time, I have been learning to enjoy the day, no matter how full it may be. I have been sleeping well. I have been in tune with God. I listen to a wonderful uplifting teaching tape when I can. I focus on the moment and not the end of the day. I am trying to do that.

Hebrews 4 is all about the Lord's rest. "For we who have believed do enter that rest..." verse 3. "There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest..."verses 9-11 NKJ.

I know that the fictional character didn't have anything like what I have. It isn't "not being busy" that counts. It"s taking God's strength and rest with you into your day. That is what I am trying to do now. Praise God, it works very well.

5 comments:

  1. I can sympathize. It seems like every week I feel like we are almost done with the constant activity and will be able to relax if we can just get through one more crazy weekend. But then we get through it just to find something else calling on our time! It's normally stuff we want to do but it just piles up and wears us down! :)

    Maybe next weekend? Nope we have a party. Ok, the one after that then?

    We'll have to wait and see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to keep insisting on some time to myself. I don't have kids, though -- we have my husband's daughter every other weekend. So that only leaves every other weekend to do anything for us...and my husband tends to fill it with projects and activities. I love just having a day to do nothing but am I the only one who feels guilty when I finally do get some time to rest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy -

    Now that I'm working again, my days are even more packed. Yet, I'm learning to flow with it. As a result, I'm sleeping better and enjoying each moment.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is good advice, Nancy, taking the Lord's rest with you. I am getting ready for my grandkids' visit, and am already tired before they get here! I needed this post today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a similar situation with the past three weekends in a row. I was feeling completely drained and now want to do nothing more than lay around on the sofa and read books for pleasure! Thanks for the reminder about focusing on the blessings of each day and seeking God's strength and rest.

    ReplyDelete