Friday, December 9, 2011

Are You Done Yet?

Are you an early shopper or a last minute shopper? I used to be a "middle shopper." I enjoyed going to stores when the Christmas music was at its height, but before the stores were depleted of all of the good stuff. Usually, I liked to start around the second week of Dec. and be finished by about the third week. If I had to do some last minute shopping because "someone" didn't have their list ready on time, well that was O.K. I was basically done and could enjoy the experience.

This year, nearly all of the people on my list have gift wish lists on the Internet. One day in early November, I started ordering gifts. They began to arrive and I ordered more. It turns out that I had most of my shopping done before Thanksgiving! This had never happened to me before. I also got busy and had a wrapping spree so that a day or two after putting up my tree on Nov. 25, I had lovely presents displayed beneath. Again, this was totally unheard of from me.

Well, my wonderful scheme went off track when one of my gifts wasn't arriving on time. This threw me off emotionally. And then I discovered new gifts that needed to be purchased. This caused me to be frustrated, not because of the gifts themselves, but because I thought I was done. Done feels so good.


Right now, I am mostly done and I do have a couple of last minute gifts to do. I don't mind. Remember, I enjoy doing those.

The reason I wanted so much to be done is that I love to just sit and look at my tree and enjoy Christmas music. I know we will have important occasions in Dec. and I don't want to be stuck shopping in the midst of them. I just want a little time to ponder the true miracle of Christmas without all of the extras. I must learn to be a person who snatches up little pieces of time and makes a special occasion of it. So in the end, I don't really care if I shop early, late, or some of each. I do enjoy the process of giving and I guess I just got stuck on the "done" thing. I don't want any more of that. The season is here to enjoy and I intend to enjoy it, shopping or not.

What about you? Are you an early or late shopper or somewhere in between? Do you have to be done to be happy? Not me, not anymore.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,
    Good for you for getting it all done. Mine is done as well but then I bought for only two families this year--easy:)) Sent them out and they are under their trees. Now I can enjoy shopping without the stress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are early birds. We usually start in the summer for our extended family, then in early December for each other. I ordered most of my husband's gifts online last weekend, and then purchased the last few presents today. All that's left is the stocking stuffers. I'm with you--I like to enjoy the Holy Season, not rush around like a loony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a bunch of December birthdays and gifts that had to be mailed, but otherwise I am so behind. Just trying to get done what I need to at this point. Hugs :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to shop early and be ahead of the game, but that doesn't always happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have cut our shopping waaayyy back and are only buying for the 7 grandbabies this year. i will get my daughter Melissa a few things since she is 25 and not married, but otherwise, that is it for the gifts. we are concentrating on Jesus this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm mostly a last minute one. lol I thought about ordering gifts but I'd be afraid things would go awry too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shop a little bit throughout the season, but like you, I've found I'm doing more and more online shopping. The convenience of it definitely can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like to be done so that like you, I can just enjoy the peace, joy, cookie-decorating, and twinkling lights of the season. And once upon a time I was an early shopper--as in completely done in August. But those days are loooong gone! :o) However, this year I am almost completely done.

    I only have one more gift to get and you inspired it with your Frankenmuth post. I had forgotten how much my brother loves the chocolate cheese sold at the Cheese Haus there. To surprise him, I'm going to have some sent to him (he lives out of state). I know he'll be totally geeked to get it because I'm sure he's forgotten all about chocolate cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm almost done. It's rare that I wait this long. Usually, I'm finished before Thanksgiving.

    The pressure is on now to get my Christmas cards out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm NOT done. In fact I'm going out now. But I'm not stressed about it. I have a plan and know what I want to get so that makes me relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been all three... early, late and between. One Christmas, which arrived only days after my dad changed addresses and moved to heaven, I was shopping on Christmas Eve day for my hubby's gift. Turned out to be a lovely painting from a local art gallery. It was pretty easy!

    This year I'm not done, but if you'll check out my posting from today, I mentioned a feather-thought He gave me about shopping this year, and so I know as go out over the next few days, it will be well!

    Thanks for the chance to think along these lines with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you for getting so far ahead. This year I am way behind, because of our trip right after Thanksgiving. I like to be done and relax as well, the season is so much more meaningful that way!

    ReplyDelete