Friday, February 4, 2011

Things To Ponder

I recently purchased Eugene H. Peterson's version of the Bible, The Message. I started reading it in Psalms and Romans. I am now still in Psalms but have moved to 1 Corinthians. While I enjoy my New King James Version of the Bible, I am finding some jolts of brilliance and wow power in seeing things in another way. I was put onto this bit of newness by Andrea at Arise 2 Write. I am grateful for all of the lovely Scriptures she has placed on her blog which hit me at just the right time. So now here are some which I felt jumped out at me and I hope they bless you.

"Sin speaks a dead language that means nothing to you." Romans 6:6-11 The Message

"God has set everything right between him and me." Romans 10:11-13 The Message

"Oh! May the God of green hope fill you up with joy." Romans 15:7-13 The Message

"It's not the one who plants or the one who waters who is at the center of the process but God, who makes things grow." 1Cor. 3:5-9 The Message

"I hear this most gentle whisper from One I never guessed would speak to me. "I took the world off your shoulders." Psalm 81:1-5, 6-7 The Message.

I'm going to keep going back and forth with my two Bibles and hope that I can see my old precious scriptures in a new light and will be able to better absorb and use the Word that I have.

Going back to the New King James Version, in Psalm 75:3, the word "Selah" is used. I have been told that this means, listen or pay attention, think about these things. There are many times when I read something profound or new and I just write "Selah" in my Bible. When I have time, I'll put it on a card and ponder the meaning. It's just a fun Bible word which I like to use. I think many such words are beautiful and powerful.
Hope you get an anointed message today that helps you to praise God, be joyful, or work towards the Kingdom.

5 comments:

  1. What wonderful scriptures! I had never heard of Selah before. I will remember that word, I like the way it sounds and what it means:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard Selah means "pause." Something we often don't do today. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy -

    I have the Message Bible, but haven't used it much. Perhaps I should pull it out and read it side by side my favorite translations.

    The King James is like second nature to me. I also like the Young's Literal Translation of the Bible.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan - I used to love the NASB but I gave my Bible all full of notes to a girl at a corectional facility. Then I heard how great NKJ was and now that one is all marked up. It seems I can't get it unless I make a note. I'd love to try the Young's translation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! I often go to Bible Gateway or Biblos and look up a verse then read it in all of the different bible translations. I find that it helps me get a deeper understanding of the verse and how I can apply it to my every day life.

    ReplyDelete