Friday, March 11, 2011

Tribute to Disney


One of the first things I was exposed to when we got our new console T.V., was The Mickey Mouse Club. I thought it would be just cartoon, but was surprised to find that there were children about my age, all with loads of singing and dancing talent, all ready to entertain me. I soon fell in love with some of the favorites: Annette, Sharon, Doreen, Darleen, Johnny and Mike. What a great way for a kid to spend an hour after school.

During this time, Walt Disney made major motion pictures and I wanted to see them all. I cried through Old Yeller along with everyone else, and loved Big Red, another great dog story. By far, my favorites had Hayley Mills as the star. It started with Pollyanna and then The Parent Trap. I just couldn't get enough of that one. I have a copy and watch it over and over. Hayley also did one called In Search Of The Castaways which I loved. That was more of an adventure.

Right after I graduated from High School, my family took a trip to New York City. We saw the World's Fair for 1965. There was a very cute exhibit called It's A Small World. You rode around in a little boat and saw animated dolls of all different countries. Here is a scene from Africa. There was a catchy tune, "It's a Small World After All," which is one of those things that gets stuck in your head. When we came out of the ride, no one was in line, so they let us have a free ride.

In l970, I was privileged to go to California with a friend. We visited Disneyland and I got to meet Doc in the other picture. We took the Pirates Of The Caribbean ride and then ate at the Blue Lagoon restaurant next door. I had the most fabulous sandwich, the Monte Cristo. Yum. We went on another tour of Small World out there, too.

I have had two trips to Disneyworld in Florida, one when my children were young and a recent one where we got to visit Epcot.

I am thankful for the quality of entertainment that Walt Disney has shown over the years. He has enriched my life in many ways. Everything is so wholesome. I love that. Now there is a new Mickey Mouse Club on T.V., this time it is cartoons, and my grandson loves it. It's still good quality and I even enjoy it. So, thanks Walt Disney, thanks for all the joy. My childhood wouldn't have been quite same without you.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love Disney too--their parks and their movies.
    I remember when I was little and first went to Disney world though, and they had that Mr Toad's wild Ride. Scared the jimmies out of me. I think they replaced it with a much calmer Pooh ride. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite was the Winnie The Pooh movie when i was a kid, but there have been so many great ones since that I would be very hard put to pick a favorite now!

    I've never had the chance to go to one of the parks but some day I hope to be able to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Nancy, I loved the Mickey Mouse Club! Remember Spin & Marty? I still can sing the theme song. :)

    I also went to the New York World's Fair in 1965. It was open for two years. Living in New York, I visited often. Maybe we passed each other in the crowd.

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan - wasn't The Mickey Mouse Club just special? I loved Spin and Marty, too. I have great memories of the New York World's Fair. Maybe we were even on a ride together. Fun to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in L.A. and went to Disneyland several times. After living in other parts of CA, we returned to L.A. when our firstborn was two. We raised both kids there, so took them to DLand frequently. We never tired of it! My favorite rides were Dumbo, and Small World.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had the joy of taking my grandson to Disney here in Fl--we live 25 miles from it:) He thinks we live at Mickey's HOuse!

    ReplyDelete