Friday, July 23, 2010

To Be Read and Read Again

I believe I've told you that I read my books over and over. One reason I do this is, try as I might, I can't seem to find as many new ones that are as good as my old ones. So just this week, I finished rereading all of my Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis books.

I read them, not in the order he wrote them, but in chronological order, according to the story. Each book has places that are so good I actually underlined the quotes. Each book has its own treasures.

My favorite is The Silver Chair. If you know the books, this is the one where a prince of Narnia is kept underground. The parts in this dark castle beat any of his adult books for apologetics.

My next favorite is The Horse and His Boy. I know this one is somewhat politically incorrect, but it gives the best view of God as being always with us.

My third favorite is The Last Battle because Lewis' view of Heaven and the battle just before it, stirs me completely every time I read it.

Of course, everyone loves The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. The expectation of Aslan and then the glorious story which follows brings the Gospel to children and the childlike.

In The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I love when Lucy hears Aslans' voice in a very dark place.

The Magician's Nephew shows a wonderful, creative, lush could-be scenario of other worlds. Such a resting place.

And Prince Caspian gets me excited about the legends of Old Narnians that just happen to be true.

So there you have it. These books always help me to be a better person. I see myself in the mistakes and goofs of the characters and I love that Aslan always forgives with a kind word, a smile, and a hug. I think I'm a little closer to God's love than before.

3 comments:

  1. I am so guilty as I have never read them. It seems many people really enjoy them. I'm glad you do!! I went to the libray today and took out a few books to read for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love this series, I used them as reasearch for my term paper in college English class. The teacher was a Believer, and okayed it. It took tons of work, but well worth it!

    Love
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - That paper sounds so very interesting. Hope you got an A+.


    By the way, everyone, I don't know what happened to my end papers and picture. Have to check that out with one of my experts.

    ReplyDelete