Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Top O' The Mornin'

Happy Saint Patrick's Day. My daughter and I have red hair, fair skin and look the part. We are both one eighth Irish and proud of every bit of it. I love this day. I remember when I was in the first grade, we colored pictures of the day. One of them was called Patrick Potato. Here's how the poem went:

Patrick Potato was backed in his skin,
Brown without and white within.
When his overcoat burst with pride,
a bit of butter was placed inside.
And so our Betty ate him skin and all,
and that's how she grew so strong and tall. Anonymous

I can't believe I remember that from all these years, but I do.

I like to keep up the tradition by putting out my Irish maidens salt and pepper shakers. The larger statue I got later at Salvation Army for a few dollars. She has such a lovely face.

Tomorrow, I plan to wear my mint-green argyle sweater, shamrock earrings and pin, watch my grandson and give a speech at church. That will be a big treat for me since I haven't done that in some time.

I used to love to send Saint Patrick's Day cards, but it got too expensive. Here's a message usually found in them:

May the road rise up to meet you,
May the wind by always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face
and rain fall soft upon your fields,
and until we meet again,
May the Lord hold you in the palm of His hand. An old Irish Blessing

Wear green and have a great day! Nancy

10 comments:

  1. It would have totally slipped my mind! I'll have to dig up some green for baby Ty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah - We'll be singing Tura, Lura, Lura for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all things Irish, too. I am one fourth--my grandmother was a Kelly, and I have red hair and freckles. Such fun!

    But I don't wear green, I wear orange because I heard that in Ireland, Catholics wear green and protestants wear orange.

    Have a bonny day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen - thanks for the info. I'm still wearing green, but I'm never been a Catholic. I've been a Lutheran, Methodist, and now Nondenominational. We all like green. You would look pretty in orange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute poems! Have a great day :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all things, Irish, too! My great grandparents were Irish...
    Hope you have an awesome day.
    Hugs, andrea

    PS: Thank you for always leaving sweet encouraging comments on arise 2 write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Destrella - Thank you. You have a great day, too.

    Andrea - It's easy with such lovely pictures and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I'm Irish at all. My last name on my father's side (Faris) is Scottish. I usually just kind of gloss right over St. Patrick's Day since I'm not much of a green beer drinker!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steph - I'm with you on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you had a great St. Paddy's day! I'd love to go to Ireland someday.

    ReplyDelete