Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Name Dropper

The summer I graduated from High School, my parents took us to New York City. It was our second trip. I had been in drama that year in school so we went to the Wintergarden Theater on Broadway and saw Funny Girl. We got box seats and I was able to lean over and peer straight down on Barbra Streisand when she sang 'People', a very famous song at the time.

When I was in college, Peter, Paul, and Mary walked right past me as they left the stage from their performance.

I heard a speech by presidential candidate John F. Kennedy at the courthouse in Mansfield, Ohio. My friends and I had no idea what a huge deal that would turn out to be.


Many years later, my daughter and I won the ticket lottery which allowed us to be first in line at Ticket Master. We were able to get second row tickets to the Backstreet Boys who were very big at the time.


Other entertainers I have seen at various times were: Andy Williams, The Righteous Brothers (twice), Barbara Eden, Henri Mancini, John Davidson, Glen Campbell (before he was famous), The Christy Minstrels, Glen Yarbrough who sang and read Rod McQuen poems, and others.


My daughter got her picture taken with new Christian artist Bebo Norman and we both enjoyed his songs at a small church.


I met Maureen Eha and Stephen Strang (sat next to Steven at a luncheon as we talked about a magazine proposal I had.) I will talk more about this in my next post.

These people added much to my life. I find that as I get older, the "stars in her eyes" personality has nearly disappeared. There are still some people I would like to meet, children's book authors perhaps. I find that everyday people are exciting though they are not famous - yet. Have you a famous person on your wish list to see, visit, or interview? I'd like to hear about it. Nancy

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy -

    By going to Christian Writers Conferences,I've met a lot of authors I admire. Other than that, I can't say I've met anyone famous.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories! I'd love to just walk by people and see what they look like "raw." That would be fun for me. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to CBA for many years and met so many famous people but as time went on, I soon lost that starry-eyed look when it came time to shake their hands. They are people too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have quite the roster there! The people I most want to meet are always my favorite authors. I find them fascinating.

    ReplyDelete