Sunday, November 18, 2012

Untangling the Skein...Sort Of

Last night I was finishing up the baby blanket that I was making for my granddaughter, Amelia, and I was having all kinds of trouble.  I needed to use a new skein of pink yarn to finish the edges.  I pulled the string that is supposed to unravel the yarn from the inside.  This usually works, but instead of one end coming out, two were there.  So when I pulled on the string, some yarn came out, but then it got tangled.  For the entire border, I had to pull a wad of yarn out, spend up to 15 minutes untangling it and then crocheting on.  The process was bordering on oppressive.  I prayed and that immediately helped me to get my good nature back. And I got an idea to cut a long piece off the top of the skein and tie it on and use that.  After taking many more hours than it should have taken, the pink edge was done.

Now I had a new problem.  I had about 1/2 of a skein of blue and I was hoping to add this to the pink edge in the shell stitch.  If if didn't reach, I would have to pull it out and either do a regular single crochet stitch or single crochet with a picot (a little knot) every so often.  I didn't think it would be enough, but I hoped and prayed.  When done, I had a small ball left over.  Praise God.  All ended well at last.

Now let me tell you that I have never seen such a knotty mess as that yarn (which is going in the trash.)  It was almost insurmountable.  If there is a knotty problem in your life, God can help you.  I know He will.

This majestic love and all good gifts are why I am so excited about Thanksgiving.  Have a great day!
 

6 comments:

  1. How pretty it turned out, Nancy. I'm so glad it worked out for you. I would have thrown the rest of it away, too.

    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy -

    Those pull skeins are a good idea in theory, but I've had lots of problems with them. The blanket is beautiful!

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it ended well. It's very pretty! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too long it's been since I've been for a wee visit. And I see you are away at present. I do hope all is well is your world, dear Nancy.

    I just noted your quote in the sidebar by Sir Winston Churchill. I'm currently reading a library book by author Terry Reardon that is about him and a former Canadian Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King. They were both colleagues during World War II. Interesting reading.

    Wishing you a pleasant week ahead and blessings for joy and peace during this Christmas season coming up.

    Bloggerly hugs,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda - Thanks for your kind comment. I am right here amidst all of the holiday excitement and family commitments. I don't know how I ever used to blog three times a week. Well, I'm in a different season now. Hope to have a new blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh! Nice way to "tie it all up." Heh, heh!

    ReplyDelete