Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Little Help Getting Started

For some time, I have been have trouble getting started in my prayers. I don't mean the quick ones I pray when I think of someone. I mean the kind where you sit in a comfortable chair and pray for some time. My Bible has always been easy to pick up and read. I enjoy fresh insights every time. And I love to talk to God and let Him talk to me, but it has been so difficult jumping in.

Well, when I was cleaning, I ran across a list, The names of God. You can find these easily on the Internet as well. The ones I found were: Jehovah Nissi - The Lord My Banner, Jehovah Rapha - The Lord That Heals, Jehovah Shammah - The Lord Who Is There, Jehovah Tsidkenu - The Lord My Righteousness, Jehovah Jireh- The Lord Will Provide, Jehovah Shalom - The Lord My Peace, and Jehovah Raah - The Lord My Shepherd.

One day, I just read these names and thought about each one. Then I praised God for some other names I knew and soon, I was getting into his attributes. By this time, I had passed from that first initial wall into a wonderful time of praise.

Now, I start with greeting my Father and the Godhead. I may thank Him briefly for the good things of the day, and move into the names I listed and the others. Then, it is so easy to move into prayer for those on my list because we are already in the heavenlies having a wonderful conversation together.
Perhaps you don't have the problem I had. Even so, the Names are a great way to add joy, praise, and comfort to your prayers. Blessings on this beautiful day.

4 comments:

  1. I have struggled the same way. Like you, I do fine with the spur of the moment prayers about something that pops into my head, but sitting down specifically to pray is hard. My wife and I spend time praying and studying our Bibles together ever evening. I find myself having trouble remembering who and what I need to pray for. Many times when I start out I forget so much and then she prays and her prayer reminds me of a lot that I missed. I have always tried to talk to God like I would a friend and that has helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea, and one I used to employ. I will try it again--I'm always wanting to find a fresh approach to converstations with the Lord. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we just need to do things a little differently to jump-start our passion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that. My problem was that I would start praying and then I would inevitably get interrupted and realize later in the day that I never finished our "conversation." So I started dividing my prayer life up to cover specific people and areas each day. That way I hopefully don't miss anything!

    ReplyDelete