Friday, August 5, 2011

Nerd Games

It used to be that when my family all get together, after dinner we would play games. The games popular then were interactive games like Taboo, Balderdash, Pictionary, Apples and Oranges, Catch Phrase, etc. I love these and all of the trivia games. I'm pretty good at them, too. Lately a trend has started. Nerd Games.

First my second son Ben got a few and then My son Joe. Soon, their spouses were putting up with them and we would all play after eating. Now, my daughter has caught the bug and her husband. She is asking where to buy them. They are very expensive.

If you are not familiar with this term, I'll try to describe it. You get a board and pieces, but not like the ones in Parcheesi. These moving pieces are "cute." If they aren't, you can buy extra ones that are. The goal of most of the games is either to get the most money or to get the most territory, in one form or another.

Now in my own defense, I tried to play these games. I even won once. Well, I thought I did. Everyone cheered for me, but then when the money was counted I had lost by a few dollars. You need strategy. You need to think for a very long time. That you have lots of since, with 4 or 5 players or more, you don't get your turn for say 15 to 20 minutes. You think up a great scheme and the guy ahead of you makes a move that throws you off and you have to do something quick. It looks like you were just sitting there twiddling your thumbs.

I can see why the kids like them. They have clear thinking and they can plot and plan. I don't do that very well anymore. I can think of a quick answer to some obscure fact in a hurry, but that doesn't count here. No, I just let them play and go get my grandson and a big pile of blocks and we make a city. Lots more fun.

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of these kind of games. I like games that make me think, but not expensive ones. I'd be on the floor with the baby and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had friends coming to town to stay with us and they brought their kids. So I got "Catchphrase" at the store and was all ready to go. I LOVE that game. I couldn't get anyone to play it. At the end of the weekend, I took the game back to the store. I guess you have to have the right audience?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy -

    It sounds a lot like Monopoly. When a game lasts too long, I get bored.

    I'll join you and Jen on the floor with the baby. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of them either, but I agree with Susan, they do sound similar to Monopoly--which I avoid playing because it takes soooo long to finish! I think I'd choose playing with the blocks as well.

    ReplyDelete