Monday, October 22, 2012

Former Foolishness

For as long as I can remember, I have had a phobia/superstition about the number 13.  I think it went back to the childhood silliness of "step on a crack and break your mother's back, don't walk under a ladder, watch out if you break a mirror, don't open an umbrella indoors.  These sound pretty lame.  I got over them a long time ago, but for some reason the "13" thing stuck in my mind.  If I counted how many sweaters I had to be sure I was covered for the winter, or how many slacks/jeans, if I got to 13, I had to add one or discount one for some reason.  Friday the 13th didn't bother me too much, because the number 13 was sort of a personal thing. I just avoided it if I could.

Another illogical superstition (I think I created this one because of my dislike of snow) was snowflake phobia.  I have a pair of snowflake earrings and I would never wear them until after the first snow, just because.  I also have a plain black long sleeve T-shirt with a single large snowflake on the front.  This too, I wouldn't wear until after a snowfall.

One day I read or heard that superstitions showed that I wasn't trusting God as much as I should.  I was really trusting in some things man had made  up instead of Him.

After this, I learned that the number 13 has several good things going for it.  It's a baker's  dozen, an extra, something unexpected.

As for the snowflake thing, I can now wear my earrings and black T anytime I want. If you think I'm foolish for doing these things, at least I had the desire to change.  Now that's freedom.     

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I agree, it is freedom! I think the enemy will use anything to distract us from following the Lord, and keeping our eyes on Him and His purpose for our lives.

    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how these silly superstitions get ingrained in us. Good for you for giving them up.

    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my friend Nancy, so glad you want to change and hey, I had the same prejudice for No. 13..until my dear and handsome,double nephew was born Oct. 13, as he is my hubby's nephew from his sister and mine from my brother..yes, his parents are our sister and brother, and Daniel is wonderful, tall, blue eyed, to die for good looks and intelligent! Therefore, I decided that God sent us this wonderful boy, (who was 30 last Oct. 13)on the 13th., so it's got to be a great, great number!!!!!! Snow I always liked, I don't like weather as hot as 100! I'm getting better in my old age about superstitions, I got no more patient and I love God to much to go on with it! Loved your post. Good luck Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete