Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ohio Treasure Basket

We have had about 5 days of the most beautiful fall weather anyone could want. Fortunately, I was able to get out and enjoy it just a bit.

This warm spell reminds me of the lovely fall walks we three girls had with my father on my grandmother's farm. There was a great unknown woods out back of the farm and we grabbed a bushel basket and went looking for treasures. The first stop was the sheep field. They were always so cute and cuddly looking. Then we went through a gate. This put us directly into "wild" territory. We stopped to visit a well where the water was so cold. It smelled of eggs, but to this day, I think it was the best water I have ever tasted.

If one of us found brightly colored leaves, we tossed them into the basket. This was in Ohio and the red leaves were gorgeous. Going on a little farther, we found a beech tree. They have beechnuts. There is an outside prickly shell and then a smooth shell inside. You have to peel this with your teeth. Then you get a tasty treat. We roamed here and there seeing the step stone type of fungus on a tree. Then we hit a clearing. The sun was just piercing the trees. Its rays landed on an old stump and butterflies were dancing around it, doing their fairy dance.

The girls and I were getting tired. We found the traditional buckeyes, shiny mahogany seeds in their shells and some on the ground. You couldn't eat them, but I just loved having one for the joy of its beauty - until it dried up and then it didn't look as nice. My dad found an unusual fruit called a paw paw. He put one or two in the basket. When we were home, he cut it in half. In it nestled beautiful purple seeds. He said it tasted somewhat like a banana.

On our journey home, we took turns carrying our treasure basket. This trip was such a little thing to do. My dad was the type of person to do things like that - to make a memory.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, lovely! Did you get to hug the sheep? I think they are the sweetest creatures, even though they don't have many brains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you doing? I've missed coming here and reading your stories and about your trips! I have similar memories but more town type ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a nice memory. :)

    I think it's interesting that the water smelled of eggs but tasted so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those memories. We used to gather leaves too, and then we'd iron them between sheets of wax paper to make our own books. Miss those days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the simple things that make the best memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely story. I love those childhood memories. I still love going out and gathering Autumn finds, just can't run through the fields like I used to, but my grandchildren do that part. So happy to have found your lovely blog.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your treasure trip sounds great!

    Nancy, thanks for your recent comment on my blog & be sure to have a nice weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a beautiful memory you've shared. I wonder if at the time your father knew he was making a memory? Sometimes we develop traditions for our families that we hope will create fond memories for them, but other times, we do so without even consciously trying.

    ReplyDelete